AMBUSH! Arts & Culture
“If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud.”
― Émile Zola
― Émile Zola
Yule Love This!
by Alizay Chavez '21
Yule also known as Yuletide is a festival celebrated by the Pagan religion. Yule begins on December 21. Some Pagans and Wiccans have a story that they share about the Oak King and the Holly King. The Oak King represents the light of the year. The Holly King is the symbol of darkness.
Modern Pagans still have a tree, lights, presents, and dinner like most people do. They mainly focus on the changes of the Earth (Haskell,2010). There are many ways to celebrate Yule. One way is to decorate your home with sacred plants that represents the Winter Solstice. Some sacred plants are holly, evergreens, mistletoes, and other plants. Another way is to put up lights to represent the Oak King (Fox, 2017).
Both the Holly King and Oak King represents the battle between the light and the dark. The Oak King is the strongest during Litha and the Holly King is the strongest during Yule. Pagans celebrate the rebirth of the sun also know as, the Oak King. According to Pagans the reason why we hang up holly is for the Holly King’s day. The Holly King is represented like a version of Santa Claus (Wigington, 2017). Yule is also the celebration of Sol the goddess of sun’s longest trip. She guides the sun around the Earth. She rides her chariot around the earth alongside her sister Mani the goddess of the moon. In some theories Sol and Mani were chased by wolves (Hijuki and Bil) and follows them in Heaven.
So What is Cosplay?
by Alizay Chavez '21
There are cosplayers who are called fanservice; these cosplayers will do anything for their fans from yaoi to yuri and many other things. Yaoi is a slang term for boys love or homosexuality. Yuri is almost the same as yaoi, but it applies to female homosexuality. There is also the attention seeker. They do anything for attention. We all know someone like that. There are cosplayers that create their own costumes or create their own costumes; they are known as costume cosplayers. There are also the destroyers; they “destroy” every character they try to cosplay as (Cosplay Cantabile, 2014). There are so many more types of cosplayers in the world. Linny L’a Vante is a cosplayer that I just recently met. I asked her a few things regarding cosplay.
The first thing that I asked her was how people react to her cosplays. Her reply was that most people are “kind and respectful” about it. They are curious about the way she makes her costumes and likes to take photos with her. The next thing that I asked her was if she got any negative comments and what are some of them. Her reply was that many people think that she doesn’t have the right body for the characters that she likes to cosplay as.
I also asked her how long it takes for her to dress up and she said that it takes her about 1.5 hours to about 3 hours. This includes makeup and hair. It really depends on the cosplay. Since Linny makes her own costumes I asked her how long it takes for her to make her own costumes. She said that for less complicated costumes it takes her 80 hours to 100 hours. For more complicated costumes it takes 150 hours to about 250 hours. The last question I asked her was if she had any advice for beginners. Her reply was for beginners to
“just start with the basics and try new things every time. You will make a lot of mistakes and maybe throw away a pin pillow at some point, but if wearing a self-made cosplay is making you happy just keep going.”
She is such a great cosplayer. From the pictures of some of her cosplays you can see the effort she puts into it. You can also tell that she loves what she does.
How Does Drama Warm Up Before a Show?
by Sage Addington '18
Before a performance, warming up your voice and getting out those pre-stage jitters is essential as a drama kid. The following video is the cast of Tracks warming up on their second show night.
Last Week's Poll Results!
Last week we asked Ambush! Readers if they knew about drag kings before reading our article and 75% said they sure did while the remaining 25% said they didn't.