Navajo Culture and the Solar Eclipse
by Rylie Begay '21
Mayor McKiney Speaks on Homeless Population
by Samantha Plummer '19
Homelessness, Is Anyone Helping?
by Jaiden Van Doorn ‘21
Chronically homeless is defined as being being homeless for one year or having at least four episodes in three years. Chuska Apartments provides services to encourage self reliance. Sadly, there is usually a wait list for this assistance. Another program helps only homeless veterans.
The Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing, also known as VASH is a HUD program ran by the local Gallup Housing Authority. There is also a VASH program at the Navajo Housing Authority as well as a Zuni Housing Programs service within the Gallup area. There is another program that will assist people who do not fall into these two categories.
The Care 66 mission is to “create opportunities to end homelessness.” Care 66 is trying to complete this mission by providing transitional housing, create more affordable housing, and making opportunities for people to make a decent wage. Within Gallup High School, both SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) and National Honors Society volunteer at Care 66.
Last Week's Poll Results!
When asked what changes one would like to see in the community, 80% of Ambush! Poll takers said they'd like to see help for the homeless population and the remaining 20% said they'd like to see more developments in education.
Ceremonial Interview with Nameless Dancer
by Rylie Begay '21
(For audio purposes, the questions can be viewed below)
Question: Do you feel a stronger connection to your culture when you dress up and dance?
Answer: Yes, I do. I dance in buckskin like my ancient ancestors.
Question: Who taught you how to dance? Was it like a relative or a trainer?
Answer: It was passed down from generation to generation. We try to do the same dance our grandfathers sang and danced. We try not to change them, we feel like we don't have the right to change those dances.
Question: When did you start dancing?
Answer: I started dancing when I was ten years old. My father and my uncles danced on ceremonial ground then. I didn't start dancing till I was around ten or eleven.
Question: How long did it take you to make your outfit?
Answer: It's a matter of time. I have four, five different outfits. I just make them over the years. You put them together there's different styles and different times.
Is AP Opportunity Fair Throughout the District?
by Samantha Plummer '19
This school year there has been a big impact on educational programs like AP classes. Many students want to be placed in advanced programs so they can get ahead, better themselves with more knowledge, and challenge themselves. Students can not do that if they do not have AP classes. On reservations, many schools do not offer any AP classes whatsoever. The New Mexico Education Department is trying to provide AP classes for students on the local reservation. These classes will only be offered through the internet and if teachers are found that can teach these classes during their personal time.
Gallup High has only four AP classes to offer this year while Miyamura has ten, why is that? I tried to speak with representatives from the New Mexico Public Education Department and Central Office on multiple occasions and received no answer from either party, however, I did get some answers from our principal. According to Mr. Romero, 1% of district students passed AP exams. Romero also said, “We [the school] have to align PARCC and AP so we are trying to push for students to take San Juan College classes instead.” Miyamura is in the same town but is granted more opportunities for AP classes and also has a San Juan Program. Is it fair that both schools have AP as well as San Juan courses but Miyamura is given more AP opportunity? Is it fair that some schools on reservations aren't offered AP courses at all?
May Poll Results!
50% of Ambush! Poll takers said they love the restaurants coming to Gallup and they love food. The other 50% of of Ambush! Poll takers said they’d rather see more stores instead.
50% of Ambush! Poll takers were excited for Freddy’s Steak and Custard to open, while the other 50% of poll takers are more excited for Hobby Lobby.