"It's a crazy world, so sports and athletics and music can be a form of escapism."
― Eddie Vedder
2017-18 Off-Season Programs
by Zach Wargo '20
With the 2016-2017 school year coming to the end and with all sports done and over with, it's time to look at the upcoming sports for when the new school year begins. With all the spring sports done, fall and winter sports have already started offseason programs open for any student that wants to participate in those sports for the next school year. Football has already begun its preseason, as they meet after school on the field getting ready for the next season. Cross Country will begin their preseason program on June 5th at 6AM going to 8AM every day. Volleyball has started preseason for about a few weeks now as they hold open gyms for anyone that wants to participate.
There are many options to look forward too in Fall sports as Football and Volleyball will be competitive this season. Cross-Country will look forward to working hard as they will try to make it back to state for the 2nd consecutive year. Three winter sports have started preseason workouts, as boys basketball is going to school, and so has girls basketball is doing workouts after school also. They have both been working hard for both teams to get back to The Pit. All the sports will look forward to accomplishing a lot during the season. All of these offseason programs will be held during the summer and questions can be asked by talking to one of the coaches at the school.
Miyamura Baseball Goes to State
by Lucia Kezele '18
With just three seniors on their team this year, the Miyamura baseball team started their season off with a losing record of 1-5. The boys turned their mindsets around and came back to finish off the season as second in the district. The boys lost to Aztec for the district championship, but due to their ranking, 6th at the time, they were able to secure a spot in the state tournament. Miyamura played three games against Farmington to begin the tournament and won two out of three of those games. On May 11th they went up against the number one team in the state, Alamagordo, for a spot in semi-finals. Led by Coach Brian Silva the boys were able to knock out the top ranked team 2-1. The boys advanced to the semi-finals round of the state tournament where they played Albuquerque Academy. Sadly, the Patriots were knocked out by Academy, losing the game 7-3. The boys had an amazing season being the first baseball team, in four years, to make it past the first round of state.
April Poll Results!
83% of Ambush! Poll takers said basketball is their favorite TV Sport and the other 17% said football was theirs. With basketball in mind, 42% of survey takers said they were rooting for the Warriors in the NBA Playoffs, 14% saying the Calalivers, 14% saying Thunder, and 28% unspecified.